Tuesday 29 June 2010

We Don't Often See Your Type Here!


This woman rode by my office this afternoon. The skirt guards caught my eye-not many bikes around here have them. And it has what looks like a full chain case too. The handlebars are not the type used on beach cruisers, and she has a basket. In-hub gearing. I couldn't see the brand of bicycle; there isn't enough contrast between the print and the paint colour. Hmmmm. I am intrigued. I hope I see her again so I can ask talk to her. We riders of proper lady bicycles need to get to know each other.

8 comments:

margonaute said...

I love the color, whatever make it is. The black Dutch bicycle is an undeniable classic, but every now and then I get a hankering for something a little sherbet-y!

Richard said...

The seat stays seem to have an upward arch. That is your best clue as to what kind of bike she is riding.

Anonymous said...

Its probably a Pashley Princess. Olympia on Portage is a now a dealer. I just bought one for my wife who is interested in commuting to work in clothing suitable for the office without having to change from lycra which she to do because of the styling of her performance oriented commuter bike. It has an old school 3 speed Sturmey Archer rear hub but a more expensive version of the Princess has a five speed speed train. Pashley uses drum brakes which make them look cleaner than bikes with caliper brakes. the finish on Pashleys is superb: lugs and all stainless fitings. The guards and baskets are all stock. The clincher is the Brooks saddle.

Sox said...

Dear Anon.
Your wife is a lucky woman! I hope she enjoys the commute. I'll have to slide over to Olympia and have a look.
Thanks for the tip!

Richard said...

I FOUND IT!

She is riding a Pashley Provence!


http://www.pashley.co.uk/products/provence.html

Richard said...

It's a Pashley Provence!

Sox said...

Thank you, Richard!

Bicycles, Friends & Family said...

I've never heard of a Pashley Provence, but it sure looks great. The colour is so summery! Will have to check out their web-site again.