Sunday 18 April 2010

A Few Small Degrees

Eselin came equipped with a Sella Royale saddle. I'm not sure if it was supposed to make her look more comfortable or more friendly but I found that saddle put my legs to sleep if I rode for more than 40 minutes. Wretched thing.
Last fall, when we were in Toronto, I bought a Brooks saddle. I have never been one to follow trends, but I am glad I made an exception here. Well, that and the Harry Potter books.
A number of people have written posts on how comfortable leather saddles are, so I will not continue on that theme, but it is true that it is a much more comfortable ride.
The Geek installed the new saddle last fall, but I used that bike only a couple of times after that, so it needed a bit of adjustment this spring. Since the Brooks isn't as 'puffy' as the Royale, the seat was raised about 3/4 of an inch and because I always felt as if I was always sliding off the nose, the Geek adjusted it by one 'tick'. I am now sitting even further behind the pedals and have noticed a huge increase in speed.
Who would have thought such small adjustments would make such a difference?

No comments: