Wednesday 14 October 2009

My Angel was Watching

Early this morning I was on the sidewalk of a busy street waiting for the light to change so I could walk across with Eselin. I pushed the 'walk' button and a car stopped almost immediately. I glanced at it, wondering why it had stopped so suddenly, when I noticed the light had indeed changed.

My confusion saved me. A car went roaring by, accelerating, in an failed attempt to beat the red. All I heard was the howl of the engine as the driver sped off into the darkness. Had I stepped off the curb when I noticed the walk indicator, even tho' it was at least five seconds after the signal had changed, I would have been killed. I wonder if the driver of that speeding, red-light running car would have even noticed.

4 comments:

Carinthia said...

Phew... you were lucky!! You certainly did have an angel watching you.

Anonymous said...

Yeesh - thank goodness you waited for that extra second or two, I'm glad you're okay!

Velouria said...

Glad to hear your intuition saved you. The thing with drivers blowing red lights happens all the time in Boston; pretty scary.

Sox said...

Running red lights is very common here too. It must be coming an North American trend. We have red light cameras at many intersections, but that hasn't taught people to stop at the rest.